ld.so.1: gpg: fatal: libusb.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Feb 15 23:50:11 CET 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 4:16 PM, hare krishna wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone help me out why i am facing this problem.
> OS - Unix.
>
> I have set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/sfw/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib/64:/usr/lib/64
>
> But when i run this command:
> gpg --list-keys
> i am getting this error:
>
> ld.so.1: gpg: fatal: libusb.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
> Killed

That's an error from your loader.  It can't run gpg, because the gpg binary is built with USB smartcard reader support via libusb, but your system doesn't have libusb available within your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  This isn't a gpg error - gpg never even got executed here.

The fix is to either figure out where you have libusb and include that in your path, to get libusb, or rebuild gpg to not require libusb.

David