Default hash

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Fri Feb 25 23:22:24 CET 2011

On 25/02/11 12:48 AM, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> I wanted to avoid breaking from default, which was the main reason
> for my post, but it appears that it's not possible if I want to use
> the stronger hashes, which is fine. As long as I know the
> limitations of my keys, and don't force preferences when sending
> encrypted/signed mail to others, I'm good.

You shouldn't need to worry about changing the preferred order.  GPG
will determine the most compatible combination of ciphers and hashes
based on the keys used to encrypt messages.  For example, my preferred
symmetric cipher is AES-256, but on a certain mailing list I'm on
encrypted messages sent there use Triple-DES because of the
preferences/limitations of other recipients' keys.  That's all the
settings I listed were, an order of preference and not forcing one
particular algorithm to the exclusion of all else.

Regards,
Ben