PGP/MIME considered harmful for mobile

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 23:43:09 CET 2011

On 02/24/2011 11:43 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> My problem is reproducible on a stock Droid X running 2.2.something --
> just got off a very long flight, funeral in the morning: I'll dig the
> precise version number tomorrow.

So, I've been doing some triaging to see if I can reproduce this on
other mail apps, and I'm coming up empty handed. So far, I've tested the
official Gmail app from Google, the K9 mail app, the builtin mail app on
my HTC Evo and the builtin mail app on the LG Optimus S. In every case,
a PGP/MIME mail displays the body of the text as it should. Sometimes,
the cryptographic signature is viewable, sometimes not.

So, that brings up the question- what mail app are you using on your
Droid X? We should definitely get a bug reported and get this worked on,
so we don't have to digress back to using inline signatures.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o