Default hash

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Feb 26 03:39:33 CET 2011

On 2/25/11 6:05 PM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> I chose Twofish as my first 256-bit cipher, as I support Bruce Schneier
> and it's shown to be a very robust and capable cipher, both in terms of
> speed and memory usage.

Bruce himself recommends AES over TWOFISH.

> I don't trust 3DES

Why?  Bruce himself has said that if speed isn't a concern, nothing else
comes close to the trust level of 3DES.

FWIW, I don't much care for the Cult of Schneier.  He's a good cryppie,
a good writer, a top-notch communicator -- but the idea of "supporting"
him is, IMO, a little crazy.

> 1. User wishes to encrypt mail to me, so my cipher preferences in my
> public key are pulled.
> 2. My first preference, Twofish, is used, only if the sender supports
> the Twofish algorithm.

No.  A modified Borda count is used.

With respect to your prefs, my standard advice applies: unless you know
what you're doing and why, stick with the defaults.