Having trouble getting GPG to accept input from a pinpad

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sun Jan 2 14:32:22 CET 2011

Paul Richard Ramer <free10pro at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using an OpenPGP v2 card with an SCM SPR-532 smartcard reader, and
> I can't get GPG to take a PIN from the pinpad instead of the keyboard.
> When I run "gpg --card-edit" followed by any command that requires a PIN
> or Admin PIN, I get a password dialog box from pinentry, but I can only
> enter the PIN via a keyboard.

IIRC the on-device PIN entry is only used for signing operations, not
admin stuff -- so try proceeding anyway and then try signing.  This kind
of harms the point of having a on-device PIN entry, but it is still
possible to setup the card on a secure machine and then use it in other
environments.  I'm using a SPR-532 too with GnuPG on Mac for SSH
authentication, and I enter the PIN on the SPR-532 just fine.

/Simon