Signing

takethebus at gmx.de takethebus at gmx.de
Mon Jan 3 01:11:44 CET 2011

Hi everybody,

I have a question about the meaning of signing, I'd be happy if someone checked whether my understanding is write:

When signing a public key's user ID, the statement I'm making is: "I believe that this key belongs to the person described by the name and the comment in the user ID." It's not necessary to make statements about the validity of the email adress, since if my former statement is true, the person with the name from the usr ID is the only one with the private key. Why should he/she ask someone to send encrypted messages to him/her where he/she can't receive them? And if so, - no harm is caused, since only he/she can decrypt them.

Thanks for answers,
Sansibar