--digest-algo ignored on gnupg-1.4.9?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jan 5 22:51:20 CET 2011

On 1/5/2011 4:00 PM, freejack at is-not-my.name wrote:
> Then something is very odd. Here's my output, only I used IDEA instead of
> 3DES for my test:

You might want to reconsider using IDEA: although it was the bee's knees
for the early 1990s, the past twenty years (good /grief/ it's so strange
to say that!) have not been kind to it.  Don't misunderstand me: I am
not saying "IDEA is broken, move away from it."  IDEA's margin of safety
is presently razor-thin, but it still holds up.  It's just that nobody
likes a razor-thin safety margin.  :)

> gpg: WARNING: message was not integrity protected

Notice that?  That's present in your packet list, but not in mine.
You're not using integrity-protected symmetric encryption, so the bit of
the RFC I quoted at you doesn't apply.  :)

> Sounds reasonable but then why is it using RIPEMD160? I tested with 3DES
> instead of IDEA and got the same thing. RIPEMD160 is being used, not
> SHA1. Thanks for looking at this.

Try sharing your gpg.conf file.  The answer is probably found in there
somewhere.