Prosecution based on memory forensics

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 13 11:39:34 CET 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 05:29, dshaw at jabberwocky.com said:

> So GnuPG can't do this alone, but there are ways to configure GnuPG alongside other packages and/or the OS to be safe(r) here.  For example, if you can arrange to run some commands as you are hibernating, you could get gpg-agent to dump its passphrase, etc.

Things would be easier to handle if the OS would send a special signal
to all processes before hibernating.  However there are all kind of
timing and priority problems with that.  Thus the only working solution
is to list all running gpg-agents in /etc/rc.suspend and send them a
SIGHUP.  Unfortunately SIGHUP also re-reads the config files and that
may take up additional time and access the hard disk again.  Another
signal would be better but I fear that there is no other standard signal
available.  SIGUSR1 is used to dump internal information for debugging
and SIGUSR2 is used for internal purposes.

gpg-connect-agent could be used to clear the caches; however that is
also a heavy command as it requires some IPC which might be subject to
blocking and timeouts.

Regarding the cached passphrases: 2.1 keeps all cached data encrypted -
but as usual the encryption key is stored in RAM as well.  If the
hardware would provide a small memory area which gets cleared when
entering hibernation mode, the cached data would automagically be safe.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner