What is the benefit of signing an encrypted email

Wed Jan 19 20:06:31 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch 19 Januar 2011 19:29:35 schrieb Werner Koch:

> I'd like to see a feature in MUAs to wrap the entire mail as presented
> in the composer into a message/rfc822 container and send the actual
> message out with the same headers as in the rfc822 container.  This
> allows to sign the entire mail including the headers.  On the receiving
> site the MUA should figure out that the signed headers match the actual
> ones and visually indicate the message including the header as signed.

I have asked for that before. At the last Linuxtag in Berlin noone from KDE or
the BSI (which has paid for the crypto integration of KMail) accepted this as
a problem which should be solved...

In addition to what you just described I would like to have standardized dummy
entries for the to and from field (probably seldom used but little effort to
cover them, too) and the subject. That way you can also encrypt the headers.

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814