signed headers for OpenPGP [was: Re: What is the benefit of signing an encrypted email]

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jan 19 22:37:29 CET 2011

On 01/19/2011 01:29 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
> I'd like to see a feature in MUAs to wrap the entire mail as presented
> in the composer into a message/rfc822 container and send the actual
> message out with the same headers as in the rfc822 container.  This
> allows to sign the entire mail including the headers.  On the receiving
> site the MUA should figure out that the signed headers match the actual
> ones and visually indicate the message including the header as signed.
> This is fully MIME compliant and should not break any MIME aware mailer
> (except for those only claiming to support MIME).

That's a pretty elegant way to solve this problem, actually.  You don't
even need the signed headers to match all the other headers (e.g. the
other dubious mangling that goes on at the MTA level that Ingo mentioned).

I suspect that many spam engines might balk at an e-mail with a
top-level Content-Type: message/rfc822 though.

	--dkg