Change key prefs; few questions

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sun Jul 3 02:38:33 CEST 2011

On Jul 2, 2011, at 3:37 PM, Chris Poole wrote:

> Hi,
> I changed the order of preferred ciphers and hash functions using setpref. My public key has changed, but not the fingerprint.

That is correct.  Changing the various preferences does not change the fingerprint.  The fingerprint remains constant no matter what you do to the key (changed/new preferences, new subkeys, new user IDs, etc).

> Is the done thing now to ask anyone with the key to pull the latest version? (I've already updated the keyserver version.)

You can ask them to update, if you like.  It's up to you if the change you made to the preferred list is important enough.  Some people refresh their keys periodically anyway.

David