Change key prefs; few questions

Chris Poole lists at chrispoole.com
Sun Jul 3 18:15:07 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> There are some obscure edge cases where you must have a 3DES or AES encrypted
> private key, but for the overwhelming majority of people, no, there is no
> reason to do this.  The default (CAST5) is quite strong (which the original
> poster acknowledged).  It's just helpful to know what the "knobs" are to
> understand how something as complex as OpenPGP is put together.

Exactly, it's just good to know. I won't bother changing the cipher or count,
but this leaves me with one final question:

In a few years, assuming GPUs are faster than ever, Moore's law is still on
track, and all that; should I change the number of iterations with --s2k-count?
The default 65536 is probably fine for now, but it'll certainly end up being too
slow. gpg won't do this for me, or counteract this in another way?

Thanks

Chris