Keygrip

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Jul 8 11:47:32 CEST 2011

On Fri,  8 Jul 2011 00:06, lists at meumonus.com said:

> I'm trying to use the gpg-preset-passphrase command and it keeps
> failing. My thought is I'm not getting the keygrip correct. How do I
> discover the keygrip for a public certificate?

With the stable 2.0 version of GnuPG the keygrip is only used for X.509;
thus you may use

  $ gpgsm --with-keygrip -k foo

Which displays the keygrip below the fingerprint line.  With GnuPG-2 the
keygrip is also used with gpg2; thus

  $ gpg --with-keygrip -k foo

Another way is to somhow figure out the respective file in
~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d - the name of the file is the keygrip plus
the suffix ".key".

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner