Where are those stubs..

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jul 20 04:42:33 CEST 2011

> Still with the HTML? This excerpt is from the Fedora mail list but it
> applies to all lists:

It applies to those lists which have a policy on HTML mail identical to that of the Fedora mailing list.  This is not the same as "all lists."

> Why? HTML is designed for web pages, not emails, and uses a lot more
> bandwidth.

This is a canard.  Given most of the bandwidth is taken up by spam, the tiny fraction that you can save by shifting messages from HTML to raw text is utterly insignificant.  It's a rounding error.

> Many list members actually block HTML because it is used for
> malicious code.

By that logic I should block plain text emails, based on how many malicious emails I get in those formats.

There are certainly reasons to avoid HTML email, but these reasons don't strike me as especially persuasive.