Yet Another Mail Encoding Thread

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Wed Jul 20 15:33:58 CEST 2011

[increasingly offtopic rant]

Well, a *proper* MUA would send both text/html and text/plain
bodyparts in a multipart/alternative container, so that a *proper* CUI
MUA could render the important part of the message without all the
markup.  But the evidence suggests that many maintainers of
HTML-possessed MUAs still do not read standards. :-P

Some character-cell MUAs will, in desperation, delegate HTML rendering
to a character-cell browser and then display the result.  I'm willing
to go the extra mile with messages that can be so treated, if the
actual text is intelligible.  Often I find that this yields something
more readable than what the sender thought I would see.  But some MUAs
do not even mark their HTML output as HTML, foiling this. :-{

When I open a message and see nothing but a farrago of markup, I
generally throw it away unread.  Unless it's an anticipated message
from a known sender, it's too much trouble even to type "v", "m" to
force it through lynx.

Sent from my big clunky desktop using Mutt.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.