Is the OpenPGP model still useful?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Jul 27 03:43:28 CEST 2011

On 7/26/11 2:44 PM, Marcio B. Jr. wrote:
>> Are you aware that the purpose of OTR is to allow two parties to
>> communicate confidentially?
>
> Right now, I'm trying to study OTR within some US Fifth Amendment
> contexts. So I'll answer that in a later time.

It seems to be a straightforward yes or no question.  DKG is just asking
if you're aware of OTR's purpose.

> So, say, my subkey's public part encrypts some session key, not the
> message itself?

Correct.  In fact, even signatures can be viewed this way. Signature
being just encryption with the private part of the key, the digest of
the message (which is all that's encrypted) can be viewed as analogous
to a session key.