Creating a quickly expiring signature

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 00:21:38 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Dan McGee wrote:
>
>> I wanted to test behavior of an application with an expired signature,
>> but using `--ask-sig-expire` don't seem to be granular enough. The
>> minimum I can specify is either 1 day, or an absolute date (e.g.
>> 2011-07-29), which is still 8+ hours away for me right now. Am I
>> missing something? Decimal values are not accepted, nor seconds,
>> minutes, or hours.
>
> When GPG asks you for the value, enter "seconds=X".  You can go down to as low as a single second.

Thanks! This worked. Now why isn't this documented anywhere to be
found? What other secret helpful options does gpg not advertise?

@Robert: while I appreciate your suggestion, I do not find setting my
system clock (controlled by NTP) to an invalid time to be even
remarkably a valid solution to this problem, especially if I am
writing an automated test suite that generates signatures and keys,
for example...

-Dan