Problem with faked-system-time option

MFPA expires2011 at ymail.com
Thu Jun 16 02:19:39 CEST 2011

Hi

On Wednesday 15 June 2011 at 10:38:00 PM, in
<mid:49d3d13e0743dca7849ce69ead91eb6c at localhost>, Robert J. Hansen
wrote:

> As soon as you're able to prove to a court that a
> timestamping service's clock is fair and honest, sure.

> But if you're able to prove that a timestamping
> service's clock is fair and honest, then the original
> signer could use the same process to prove *his*
> timestamp is fair and honest

It depends on the proof. If it involved referring the court to
hashed/signed information regularly published by the timestamping
service, such as to newsgroups or in newspapers, the original signer
may not have similar to rely upon.

> -- and thereby remove the
> need for a timestamping service in the first place.

The parties themselves could nest signatures on a document: A signs, B
signs the signed document, A signs again, B signs again. Each party
has a signature that is constrained to have been applied between two
signatures of the other party. Would that not remove the need for a
timestamping service?

> Your argument leads to a paradox.  If a timestamping
> service's clock can be proven to be fair and honest,
> then there is no need for timestamping services.

Proving a timestamping service's clock to be fair and honest would not
remove my ability to alter my system clock or to use software to pass
a different time to GnuPG.

> Timestamp authorities are *trusted* to be fair and
> honest -- but that's not the same thing as *proven* to
> be, and nothing in the world is easier to revoke than
> trust.

Even those that publish records/hashes are not really *proving* their
integrity.

http://guardtime.com/publications/
http://stamper.itconsult.co.uk/stamper-files/index.htm

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:expires2011 at ymail.com

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. -- Groucho Marx