Problem with faked-system-time option

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Jun 16 03:08:29 CEST 2011

On 6/15/11 8:41 PM, Jerome Baum wrote:
> You: Go ask a lawyer. I only know lawyers are smart people and it
> would be in their interests (really?) to repudiate electronic
> *documents*. (emphasis mine, obviously)

There are two main reasons why I'm referring you to a lawyer:

(a) to the extent I know some lawyers' strategies, I am generally
    not at liberty to talk about them, and
(b) to the extent I am at liberty to talk about the rest, I am
    not confident of my ability to present their methods correctly,
    due to the fact I haven't spent ten years learning all the
    intricacies of contract law

Neither (a) nor (b) interferes with my confidence in the statement,
"contract lawyers are well-prepared for repudiating electronic documents."

(To explain (a): a few years ago I worked as the chief sysadmin for a
law firm, and got to sit in on their strategy sessions for how to handle
the changes electronic documents presented for subpoenas, signatures,
and so forth.  I am not at liberty to talk about their methods: I can
only tell you the lawyers I worked for took this quite seriously, and
were confident of their ability to repudiate electronic signatures.)

> Not really. My CPA sends me an electronic invoice that is "in
> accordance with signature laws and applicable precedent".

Your CPA and ISP claim to do this.  Nobody knows whether it truly is
until a court declares it to be so.