Problem with faked-system-time option

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Jun 16 04:44:20 CEST 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Jerome Baum wrote:

>>> My understanding of a notary's job would include "I trust this key to
>>> be valid, in possession only of the person named in the uid, while
>>> that person was in sufficient mental state, not being threatened at
>>> gun-point, ..."
>>
>> The 0x50 signature should not be interpreted as the output of a real-world notary
>
> Who says that?

RFC-4880 says that.  And speaking as the person who suggested it, I can tell you my intent ;)

The draft spec actually called it a "notary signature", but after discussion, the name was intentionally changed to "Third-Party Confirmation signature" explicitly to avoid any confusion with a real-world notary or what they do.  The word notary is just an analogy.

>> OpenPGP calls this signature a "Third-Party Confirmation signature".  It is merely a signature on a signature for whatever purpose is desired by the signer.
>
> So, is it interpretation-dependent?

No more than any other signature in the standard, no.

David