Understanding the "--refresh-keys" output

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Jun 16 19:44:00 CEST 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On 06/16/2011 09:31 AM, David Shaw wrote:
>> Line 9 is just a key count.  You have 17 valid keys.  All of them ("u") are ultimately trusted, which suggests that you have 17 keys that you have generated as ultimate trust is generally used for people's own keys.  (If you can't trust yourself, who can you trust?)
>
> 17 keys is a lot of keys to have generated yourself (though there are
> some circumstances where i'm sure it makes some sort of sense).

Just 17?  My current GPG test VM used for development:

gpg: 3 marginal(s) needed, 1 complete(s) needed, PGP trust model
gpg: depth: 0  valid:  154  signed:   0  trust: 0-, 0q, 0n, 0m, 0f, 154u

;)

Seriously, though, Daniel is right.  If those 17 keys aren't just endless test keys like mine, you might be doing something you didn't intend to.

David