Error messages when generating new keys

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 27 20:49:50 CEST 2011

> 2. I tried  "$ gpg2 --gen-key", chose default options
>    and entered my infos (email address, name,…)
>    and I got:
>       gpg: problem with the agent: Bad CA certificate
>       gpg: problem with the agent: Invalid card
>       gpg: Key generation canceled.

You are either running a version of gpg-agent which is too old or gpg
started that version of gpg-agent but expected another one.  Or there is
another daemon taking over the connection between gpg2 and gpg-agent.
Seahorse as well as the gnome-keychain(?) used to do this (which is
something they should not do).

Adding the options "--verbose --debug 2048" to the command line may give
you some more insight.  Make sure all gpg-agent's are stopped.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner