PGP/MIME considered harmful for mobile

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Thu Mar 3 04:18:38 CET 2011

On 2/03/11 8:20 AM, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> Of course, my experience is from a time when UTF-8 wasn't used in email.
> But do the standard mail clients (Outlook, GMail, Thunderbird) really
> default to UTF-8 nowadays? Expecting people to properly configure their
> mail clients is an unrealistic dream.

No, but some have been saying they will at some nebulous point in the
future.  So far I still have to change Thunderbird, Firefox and Emacs
to use UTF-8 by default.

It comes from too many years of people failing to get even my simple
surname correct (no, there really *isn't* supposed to be a "u" in it).
I figure people with umlauts, accents and other characters feel the
same way.  ;)

Regards,
Ben