OpenPGP Card source

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Mar 3 19:40:04 CET 2011

On Thu,  3 Mar 2011 16:28, Lists.gnupg at mephisto.fastmail.net said:
> Is the source code that lives in the OpenPGP card, v2.0, as implemented
> in the Kernel Concepts/Zeitcontrol version, available anywhere for
> review?

No, it is not available.  The smart card OS is - as usual - proprietary.

Achim Pietig wrote the implementation for the commonly used card using a
chips featuring the Zeitcontrol smartcard OS.  There are a few other
vendors using the specification to write their own card.  This is
proprietary.

Only recently Gniibe came up with a free implementation for a micro
controller; the Gnuk token.  I heard that the Crypto Stick 2.0 will have
a free implementation for a real smartcard chip.

> I have looked on their respective websites, as well as g10 code and the

Let me clarify the involvement of my company g10 Code in the OpenPGP
card stuff: I worked with Achim (who never worked for g10 Code) on the
specification for the card.  My goal was to have an easily available
specification for a card we could support in GPG.  Eventually we
implemented that specification.  And of course this host part is free
software.  Having the logo of g10 Code on the card does only mean that
we take care of the host part and helping with the specs - and well some
free advertising.  We would be glad if we could help with a free
implementation.  However, that would take up a lot of time - time we can
only spend as part of a paid project.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner