Compression used in an encrypted message

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Mar 11 20:25:52 CET 2011

On Mar 11, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Avi wrote:

> Thanks, everyone.
>
> So we can see the algorithm, but can not be able to see the compression level used, correct?

Not directly, no.  OpenPGP just encapsulates the compressed stream, so you'd have to extract the compressed data and examine it.  I'm not sure if a single-number answer is available even then.  Basically, if you can get the level from a regular compressed .gz or .bz2 file, then you can get it here, but either way, GPG does not have visibility into that.

David