hashed user IDs [was: Re: Security of the gpg private keyring?]

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Sat Mar 12 08:26:46 CET 2011

Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On 12/03/11 12:33 AM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>> On 3/11/2011 1:07 AM, Ben McGinnes wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity, how big is that now?
>>
>> My complete /var/lib/sks/DB directory comes in at 7.8G.  Not too large.
>
> That's smaller than I would have thought, but a *lot* larger than the
> last time I checked (sometime in the '90s).

Ben,

That's the SKS implementation of the key database. On top of the keys, there are
several other tables. Within each table there is also empty space, most commonly
space left at the end of a page.

The present size of just the raw keys -- like you would pull in a keydump to
bootstrap a server -- is 4.38 GB

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or