RSA Versus DSA and EL GAMAL

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Mar 14 05:23:15 CET 2011

On 3/13/2011 11:21 PM, Jonathan Ely wrote:
> I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question to ask now or if
> people already asked it before I stepped on the scene, but which
> algorithm is more secure: DSA and EL GAMAL or RSA?

There are probably only a couple of dozen mathematicians in the entire
world who are really competent to argue about the relative merits of the
concepts underlying each algorithm.  I'm not one of them.  I doubt any
of them are on this list.

For the rest of us, it's kind of like wondering whether King Kong or
Godzilla is better at terrorizing urban centers.  It's an interesting
thought experiment, but we'll probably never reach a consensus.  All
we'll be certain of is that if we need an urban megalopolis thoroughly
cowed, either of the two will do the job just fine.