GPG and PGP

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Mar 15 14:31:40 CET 2011

> 3. Both IDEA and IDEA NXT don't meet the rigor of many of today's open
>    algos.

Substitute "safety margin" for rigor and I'll agree with you.  IDEA is a
competent design by credible people and has had a whole lot of people
beating on it to only limited degrees of success: it seems to me they've
met the requirements for rigor.

> So, if you ask me, I don't see the need to support even the capability
> of a module with GnuPG.

I am generally in favor of modular design on general principle: it makes
it easier to write custom additions to GnuPG should the need arise.
Whether an IDEA module should exist or not ... eh.  I've always thought
that if people really needed RFC1991 compatibility, they know where to
find PGP 2.6.