GPG and PGP

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 15 16:14:25 CET 2011

Op 15-3-2011 15:55, Aaron Toponce schreef:

> Using this line of logic, web developers should continue support for
> IE6.

I would not mind them using fallbacks when it doesn't hinder other code
or bloat things. This last requirement, however, is in web development
much more difficult to achieve than adding another crypto algorithm to
GnuPG. The IDEA code does not hinder or complicate other code. Even the
crypto algo const (1) for IDEA is already defined.

> After all, it has 35% market share in China, and roughly 12%
> world-wide, given recent statistics.

My former employer still uses it. That's what you get for investing too
much in company and product specific code.

> I would venture to guess that PGP
> v2 has much less of a share in crypto circles.

I don't know, but I do know that adding IDEA does not complicate or
bloat GnuPG.

--
With kind regards,

Johan Wevers