KEYSERVER; Trust Model

Mike Acker Mike_Acker at charter.net
Mon Mar 21 13:52:31 CET 2011

On 03/21/2011 08:36, Jonathan Ely wrote:
> So I trust Tom Nuguy's key, marginally or fully?
Very good question.  If you apply trust to Tom Newguy's key you are
indicating whether you trus him to sign for other keys.

That's now what we want to do in this scenario: Tom Newguy is the new
person in the group and I'm acting as the Group Security Facilitator

As a result:

    * if you load my key and mark it fully trusted , and
    * you then receive Tom Newguys key with my signature attached, then
    * when you open Tom Newguy's message the system will show good signature

If, OTH you mark me MARGINALLY trusted Tom Newguy will need TWO
signatures on his key before he can go green

So what you would do: download my key from the server and set a trust
level.  accept Tom's key from the e/mail.  then read Tom's message.  Try
setting the trust level on my key to different levels and then re-read
Tom's message: see what affect the setting has.  Basically the question
you are playing with is: should I trust Tom because Mike signed for him?

--
/MIKE