what are the sub keys

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Mar 22 20:16:08 CET 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 19:08:56 +0000, Jerome Baum <jerome at jeromebaum.com>
wrote:
> But the  OP was talking about RSA-2048 (with any
> hash), and there  is a reason not  to use that.

There may be particular users who have reasons not to use RSA-2K, but as
far as general advice goes, I don't see any reason to go beyond RSA-2K.  If
someone breaks RSA-2K it will be via a breakthrough of such Gaussian
proportions[*] that our proper response will be to migrate to different
schemes altogether, not to tack on another few bits and consider ourselves
safe.

If you're concerned for 30+-year security and you have to use RSA and you
can't use anything else, then yes, use the largest RSA key you can find.
The rest of us are better suited by realizing "if RSA-2K ever falls we
should move for the exits, regardless of how large our keys are."

[*] Yes, it's a _Sneakers_ ref.  Seemed appropriate, given the talk of
breaking RSA...