4096 bit keys

Grant Olson kgo at grant-olson.net
Tue Mar 22 23:53:15 CET 2011

On 03/22/2011 06:06 PM, Jonathan Ely wrote:
> I really wish 8192 would become available. Not that it would be the end
> all/be all of key security but according to your theory it sounds much
> more difficult to crack.

The actual cutting edge solution is to move from RSA to ECC.  Even a
8192 bit or 16k bit RSA key isn't approved by the NSA or NIST for TOP
SECRET materials, but ECC-521 is.

ECC actually is up-and-running in the beta for gpg 2.1, but
realistically it'll be (at least) a few years before it gets mainstream
adoption.

--
-Grant

"Look around! Can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?"