Using GNUPG as a standalone client

John Clizbe JPClizbe at tx.rr.com
Wed Mar 23 03:03:13 CET 2011

gayamantra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are intending to use GNUPG to encrypt a file before we FTP it to an
> external party.
>
> Is it possible to use GNUPG as a standalone client without having to install
> in on our servers?

Yes, GnuPG may be installed on a workstation and accessed at the command line,
BUT sftp or scp (part of SSH) are probably better solutions. They're easier to
use and eliminate the chance of users transferring files in the clear. I'd most
likely only encrypt with GnuPG if the external party needed to restrict access
to the file on their end.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Enigmail DAWT net
FSF Assoc #995 / FSFE Fellow #1797  hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or