4096 bit keys

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Mar 23 09:25:38 CET 2011

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 03:33, JPClizbe at tx.rr.com said:

> Could be in OpenPGP later this year. Camellia was fairly fast.

It is not required to be in in OpenPGP (technically a new RFC to extend
rfc4880).  We have always added new features to OpenPGP before we had an
RFC for it.  It is basically, that the WG agrees upon it and we have two
compatible implementations.  This was the case for AES, MDC, the new
secret key protection mechanism and now for ECC.

>   2) The ECC-OpenPGP draft itself. Andrey Jivsov, the author,
>      is with Symantec Corp (read PGP Corp).
>      https://sites.google.com/site/brainhub/draft-jivsov-openpgp-ecc-07.txt

He wrote this draft while he worked at PGP.  He also contributed the ECC
code for GnuPG.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner