Storing secrets on other people's computers

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Fri May 6 01:51:09 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 01:43, Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:

> > Totally OT, but can you think of an example that is entirely free? As in,
> zero theoretical cost?
>
> Space.  I'm perfectly happy to sell you a cubic meter of space somewhere
> within a lightyear of Betelgeuse.
>
> Before anyone thinks I'm being sarcastic, I'm not.  That's a frank and
> honest answer to the question.  For something to have zero theoretical cost,
> it must be available in effectively infinite supply or else have no
> competing uses to which it can be put.

As for a use: prestige?

Also, how about the admin cost of assigning the space?

Nonetheless, it gets incredibly close. I wonder if there might be a cost
involved with acquiring anything -- at the very least, you have to make the
decision to acquire it. But it might not be your decision. <insert long
discussion here about theoretical costs involved with owning something,
obtaining it, knowing that you own it, whether you need to know that you own
something in order to own it, etc.>

--
Jerome Baum

tel +49-1578-8434336
email jerome at jeromebaum.com
--
PGP: A0E4 B2D4 94E6 20EE 85BA E45B 63E4 2BD8 C58C 753A
PGP: 2C23 EBFF DF1A 840D 2351 F5F5 F25B A03F 2152 36DA