How do I list all recipient of a message (including myself)?

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Thu May 12 06:11:57 CEST 2011

lists at mgreg.com <6C0BDA71-FD0A-4C30-AE59-50D5FB8E4F6D at mgreg.com> wrote
on 5/11/11 10:49:04 PM:
> Hi All,
>
> I am writing application in which I need to know if a GnuPG encrypted message was sent to me.  It seems that whenever you list the recipients of a message it will list every recipient but you -- even if you're one of them.  Surely there's a way to reveal whether or not you're one of those recipients...?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael

You can try this, but I don't know how to integrate it into your
application:

- launch Terminal and type gpg. This will output:
gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...

- copy/page the encrypted message. If it was encrypted to your public
key, your will be prompted to enter your passphrase. After you enter it,
the output will display to which user IDs and public keys the message
was encrypted, like:
---------
You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "Charly Avital <shavital at mac.com>"
4096-bit RSA key, ID 02345678, created 2011-03-26 (main key ID ABCDEF1)

[and after you type in the passphrase]:

gpg: encrypted with [the second recipient's key]
      [the second recipient's user ID]
gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit RSA key, ID 02345678, created 2011-03-26
      "Charly Avital <shavital at mac.com>"
--------

Charly