GPG Problem - invalid radix64 character

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Fri May 13 12:08:35 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:55, Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> wrote:

> *bump*
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>

> But this last one gave me a problem when trying to unpack
>> it:
>>
>>        gpg: invalid radix64 character D0 skipped
>>        gpg: invalid radix64 character 00 skipped
>>        gpg: invalid radix64 character AD skipped
>>        gpg: invalid radix64 character DE skipped
>>        [these four lines repeats for a while]
>>        gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=73)
>>        gpg: mdc_packet with invalid encoding
>>        gpg: decryption failed: Invalid packet
>>        gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=36)
>>        gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
>>        cpio: premature end of file
>>

>> There's 1498 4GB files, and I managed to extract 792GB before
>> this failure. But since the archive files is in ASCII armor,
>> there's no telling in which file the problem lies!
>>
>> I'm currently looking for '^-|.*:|^$' in the files, but
>> so far nothing...
>>

>> 1. What character is D0, 00, AD and DE? What can I look for
>>  (to try to diagnose the problem/file)

You can look for D0, 00, AD and DE.

> 2. Is there ANYTHING I can do to get my data, exept making a
>>  new archive (which, for various reasons, take about
>>  two-three weeks)?

First find the offending file, then you'll know your options.

> I've googled this problem, but most (if not all) get this
>> when/if receiving an ASCII armor via mail which messes
>> things up. I doubt very much that's the problem here, since
>> I'm using the exact, identical file I started with, not a
>> copy (which is the result of mailing it)...

But the files are ASCII armored and messed up, right? You should still try
out the suggestions you found. It's possible your file got corrupt even if
it's "the exact, identifcal file [you] started with" -- think bit rot.

Personally I'd first find the file that's causing the problem, by looking
for those bytes. It's more difficult to solve a problem when you can't see
it.

--
Jerome Baum

tel +49-1578-8434336
email jerome at jeromebaum.com
--
PGP: A0E4 B2D4 94E6 20EE 85BA E45B 63E4 2BD8 C58C 753A
PGP: 2C23 EBFF DF1A 840D 2351 F5F5 F25B A03F 2152 36DA