Key generation on card fails with key sizes larger than 1024 bits

Sevan / Venture37 venture37 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 00:26:21 CEST 2011

Hi Werner

On 18 May 2011 21:19, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2011 19:39, venture37 at gmail.com said:
>
>> No, I assumed I didn't need to as the reader works fine with the
>> internal CCID driver (I can fetch card status, edit card details &
>> generate 1024bit keyson the card)
>
> Sure, it is the reader I used for many years.  I am currently using a
> 3310 or so.
>
>> scdaemon.log output on FreeBSD:
>
> Is there a chance that you can test it on a Linux box?  It looks pretty
> much like an USB stack problem or a problem with libusb.  If I find the
> time I can test it on kfreebsd 8.2.
>
> You may also install pcscd and use disable-ccid-driver in scdaemon.conf
> to check a different CCID implementation.

I will try & give a Linux distro a spin but it's a  catch 22 situation
on the BSD front, it could likely be a USB stack problem, certainly
for FreeBSD, the implementation of libusb has diverged/lagged (i'm not
sure which tbh) where anything that depends on a recent version of
libusb is broken on anything newer than FreeBSD 7.x, this includes
pcscd which can't be built with USB support on newer versions.
However, I have just managed to pick up a Gemalto pcmcia card reader
(lenovo part # 41N3004) so I can give that a try instead, as soon as
I've worked out how to get it working with pcscd.

Sevan