Installing new version of gpg

DUELL, BOB (ATTCINW) bd9439 at att.com
Wed May 25 01:41:35 CEST 2011

Hi,

Forgive me for what is probably a very simple question, but I am upgrading gpg on my UNIX server from 1.2.6 to 1.4.11.

When I originally installed gpg, I installed everything to the default locations (/usr/local)  For this release, I used the "configure PREFIX" option to specify a new install location so I can test.  So rather than have everything written to /usr/local I chose to install into /opt/app/gnupg-1.4.11, which now has four sub directory (bin, lib, libexec, and share).

All well and good, but what do I need to do to run the new version?  In other words, do I just enter:

$ /opt/app/gnupg-1.4.11/bin/gpg whatever

Will that recognize the "parent" directory to access all the other files?

Finally, assuming everything works well (as I'm sure it will), can I easily "install" this new version by deleting the previous files from /usr/local and creating symbolic links to the new location?

Thank you in advance,

Bob