I can't stop encryption being done with a wrong key

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 26 20:06:07 CEST 2011

I have a friend whose gpg key became corrupt.  He created a new key, and I
imported it.  Then we discovered that KMail insists on trying to encrypt using
the old key, even though I have changed his addressbook entry to reflect the
new key.

At this point we thought it was a KMail issue, so I moved to Thunderbird for
answering his mail.  Signed mail in both directions is no problem.  He can
send an encrypted message and I can read it.  The new key is fine.  However,
when I send an encrypted message to him we hit the rocks.

In Thunderbird I have only a minimal addressbook.  I set his record to use the
new key for encryption, and I can't see any way that Thunderbird should know
about the old key.  However, the test email I sent him was signed by the RSA
subkey of his old key.

Can someone please explain to me how this could be happening, and what I need
to do to correct it?  Should I remove his old key from my keyring?  If I do, I
assume that I won't be able to read his older messages.

Thanks

Anne