keys.gnupg.net

John A. Wallace jw72253 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 19 04:07:32 CET 2011

Hello.  In my web browser I am looking at the url of keys.gnupg.net, which
has the following title on top of its page: SKS OpenPGP
Keyserver at zimmermann.mayfirst.org. This site allows me to check or submit
public keys.  On that page there are some instructions in a section called
"Access", and it states:

To use this server directly via HKP add this to your .PGP keyserver list:

	x-hkp://zimmermann.mayfirst.org
	http://zimmermann.mayfirst.org:11371

	For users of GnuPG, add the following to ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf:

	keyserver hkp://zimmermann.mayfirst.org

Now when I went to look at the site noted above (i.e.,
http://zimmermann.mayfirst.org), it appears to be exactly the same as the
first page, the one with a url of "keys.gnupg.net".  So, is this an
officialy sanctioned site by gnupg, one which is simply redirected?

Secondly, regarding the instructions, already in my gpg.conf file I have
this line: "keyserver hkp://keys.gnupg.net"; so, would there be any point in
changing it?

More importantly, in the same instructions it states this:

	"This server is also available secured by TLS (via hkps).... You can
use HKPS by dropping 	the May First/People Link Certificate Authority's
certificate into ~/.gnupg/mfpl.crt, and 	then adding the following
lines to ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf:

	keyserver hkps://zimmermann.mayfirst.org
	keyserver-options ca-cert-file=/home/YOURNAME/.gnupg/mfpl.crt"

Therefore, if this is in fact an officially sanctioned site, I should prefer
to have this latter option for use as it supports encrypted key transfer
processes.  I am assuming that there should be only one entry for the
"keyserver" name option although the online instructions do not explicitly
state so? Thanks.

John