Is there a way to browse the GPG web of trust?

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 17:54:46 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 12:46:32PM +0200, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> This is awesome, thanks!

No problem. It's pretty crazy stuff.

> Is it possible to get a dump of all the signatures in a particular key server?

Possible? Yes. Probable? Maybe. I once setup my own public keyserver, just
because, and found it to chew through 20GB or so, iirc. It's been about 5
years since setting it up, so I'm guessing it's grown since then.

If you want all the keys from a keyserver, you'll probably have the best
luck building your own keyserver, taking all the public keys, building a
keyring, and examining the Web of Trust on that. With that said, I would be
willing to bet that something of that magnitude would be rather CPU and RAM
intensive. You would probably want to take advantage of some pretty serious
hardware to make it practical.

If someone has better advice, you'll likely get it here. :)

> BTW: Just as a side note, I am studying "web of trust" as a general
> concept (hopefully to become part of a PhD).  There is also the "FOAF"
> web of trust, which is bigger (say 100 million plus) but perhap not as
> high quality as GPG.  Im also looking at the data in
> http://convergence.io/ ... it might be an idea to try and map all the
> different web of trusts on the internets and collate the data together

Will your discertation be available publicly?

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o