Why revoke a key?

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 10 00:51:58 CEST 2011

On 09-10-2011 23:30, takethebus at gmx.de wrote:

> in which cases should I revoke a key in general?

If you think it may be compromised.

> Let's  say  I  have my private key on an USB stick and lose the stick somewhere in public. The key is protected by the mantra. I'm sure, nobody knows the mantra except  me. Should I revoke the key or could I keep on working with a copy of it?

That depends on your thread model and the strength of the secret key
password. It happened once to me (key on a backup CD-ROM in a bag that
got stolen, but unlikely by someone particulary interested in my keys.
However, I still revoked it yo be sure.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Johan Wevers