STEED - Usable end-to-end encryption

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Mon Oct 17 23:21:03 CEST 2011

On 2011-10-17 23:00, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On 18/10/11 7:32 AM, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>>
>> I like the idea, but how are you setting the header? I see you're
>> using Thunderbird, and I don't believe that setting that header is
>> part of Enigmail. Further, it appears your mail isn't signed. Just
>> curious.

I don't sign every email I send. I tend to plug in my reader whenever I
sign something important, and then sign other mails while the reader is
plugged in. The reader wasn't plugged in in this case.

> No, but it is part of Thunderbird:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Custom_headers
>
> The process is even less straight forward than using Enigmail would be
> for end users.

So enabling _Enigmail_'s "Send 'OpenPGP' header" option is difficult now?

Anyway, my point wasn't that we should use Enigmail. It wasn't that we
should use the OpenPGP header. It was that we should have an optional
header that unobtrusively says "by the way, I support encryption".

However the OpenPGP header is a pretty good start as Enigmail supports
it. Whatever solution we use, it should be default-on. Plus we should
use key-servers as not everyone has a place to upload the key, and it'd
be pretty involved for a "dumb" end-user.

--
PGP: A0E4 B2D4 94E6 20EE 85BA E45B 63E4 2BD8 C58C 753A
PGP: 2C23 EBFF DF1A 840D 2351 F5F5 F25B A03F 2152 36DA