STEED - Usable end-to-end encryption

Mark H. Wood mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Tue Oct 18 16:00:29 CEST 2011

I don't see why the ISP has to be the entity providing DNS lookup.
The one I use won't even allocate me a static address, let alone
accept RRs from me to serve out to others.  I'm not sure I'd trust
them to get it right and *keep* it right anyway.

If the ISPs won't cooperate, maybe the antivirus vendors would.
They're already in the data security business, already have an
extensive network presence, and already get money from me to help me
secure my information assets.  Build enrollment into the AV product or
provide a separate setup tool.  It should be simple.

Likewise there are freestanding DNS providers out there who already
have the infrastructure and the experience, are already serving some
of us, already get money from some of us.  This could be a welcome
source of a little more income for very little more cost, or a freebie
to get you in the door like free DDNS does.

(I should read the paper; maybe this has been addressed.)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mwood at IUPUI.Edu
Asking whether markets are efficient is like asking whether people are smart.