STEED - Usable end-to-end encryption

Jerome Baum jerome at jeromebaum.com
Tue Oct 18 16:35:33 CEST 2011

>> In fact to my knowledge outside of webmail and inside "private email"
>> (so drop companies, universities, schools) it's usual to configure your
>> own MUA, with the help of instructions from your ISP.
>
> Well, so we need to convince them to change those instructions.

Yes and this is what I said: It's useful to get the ISP involved. But
it's not necessary -- Google doesn't provide instructions on how to
enable send receipts in Outlook. I would guess that there are users out
there using gmail that use read receipts.

So yes, definitely get the ISPs involved. But let's not rely on them. A
good, easy-to-use (easy-to-install) plugin for Outlook '03/'07/'10
should go a long way to getting people to use end-point encryption.

The main value I would see in the STEED proposal is to make this whole
process easier for the user. The UI for keyring management and crypto
operations will be the most important part to making that work, and the
ISPs don't have to help out there (modulo webmail which isn't even
end-point).

--
PGP: A0E4 B2D4 94E6 20EE 85BA E45B 63E4 2BD8 C58C 753A
PGP: 2C23 EBFF DF1A 840D 2351 F5F5 F25B A03F 2152 36DA