STEED - Usable end-to-end encryption

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Oct 19 22:10:30 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 19 October 2011, Harakiri wrote:
> [...]

No, it does not. At least, not by default. If you buy a qualified
certificate then you can put this certificate on your "Personalausweis",
but, given how expensive such a certificate is, I doubt that a lot of
people will use this feature of the Personalausweis. There are probably
more people with an OpenPGP-capable smartcard than there are people with
a German Personalausweis with an expensive certificate.

> Other european countries could follow...
>
> Also - inventing just ANOTHER protocol for email encryption that mail
> clients should implement? Heck, the only protocol available in all
> major mail clients right now for out of the box encryption is only
> smime - for PGP you need plugins - even after so many years there is
> no out of the box solution for the other major standard - lets not
> talk about all the compatibility issues with smime in all existing
> clients. And you just want add another NEW standard which will solve
> issues? I dont think so.

What NEW standard are you talking about? Werner wants to use OpenPGP.
The only thing he wants to simplify is key exchange.

> Use existing tools most user have installed on his machine by default
> - work with these and get a suiteable end-to-end encryption going!

I'm not sure what existing tools you mean. Are you talking about S/MIME?
You said yourself that S/MIME is no viable solution because of
compatibility issues.

Regards,
Ingo