MS Exchange server corrupting PGP-MIME emails

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Mon Oct 31 11:14:44 CET 2011

On 30/10/11 22:03, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> Assuming that standards-based arguments carry any weight at all, you'll
> have a stronger argument if you *do* limit your scope to the
> multipart/signed mime parts:

Would a lawyer perhaps say it as this?

I would like to see no mangling at all. If there are legitimate uses for
mangling, I would like to see no mangling of multipart/signed and
multipart/encrypted.

A lawyer would still need to define "mangling", but IANAL.

But still, the part you quoted is only about /signed, and the OP reported
problems with /encrypted. So it is perhaps not that strong an argument when you
want to fix the OP's problem ;).

And surely there must be a part of the MIME spec which says that the MTA
changing inline to attachment is not a good default[1]. If it's not specified,
I'd think that is because they thought it implied. Just like it is implied that
it is not a good default if the MTA inserts obscenities and verbal abuse in a
text/plain part.

Peter.

[1] At first I wrote "is not allowed". But in special circumstances, it might be
okay, like when the user has explicitly configured his own MTA to do such a
transformation.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt