Decrypting WikiLeaks insurance file

David Smith Dave.Smith at st.com
Fri Sep 2 09:59:23 CEST 2011

Ben McGinnes wrote:
> On 2/09/11 3:02 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>>> (talk about a long password). However, which tool is used to encrypt it?
>> Would running the unix 'file' command give a clue ?
>
> Nope, it just comes up as "data" and the only clue as to what type is
> the .aes256 extension it's been given.

Perhaps it is just encrypted with the basic AES256 cipher with no
OpenPGP wrapping?  I'm not sure whether GnuPG can decrypt raw AES data,
but if not, you should be able to download an AES256 algorithm from the
net and compile it into an application.  There might even be
Perl/Tcl/etc. versions that don't even require compilation.