OpenPGP card not working

Martin Gollowitzer gollo at fsfe.org
Sat Sep 3 21:42:36 CEST 2011

* David Robertson <djpeterrobertson at gmail.com> [110903 11:18,
  mID <4E61EAAE.20704 at gmail.com>]:

> Hello,
> I've just bought myself a Gemplus/Gemalto GemPC twin USB smartcard
> reader and a V2.0 OpenPGP card. I'm running Debian Squeeze. I've set up
> udev rules as described here
> http://www.gnupg.org/howtos/card-howto/en/smartcard-howto-single.html .
> However, when I insert my card and type gpg --card-status I get (gpg
> 1.4.10)

My first guess: The Gemalto reader is actually not listed in that udev
file. Can you send me the output of

$ lsusb

so I can check? There is also a script [1] that does the udev stuff
automatically. I always try to integrate new readers into the script if
someone tells me the USB device ID :-)
Also, you might want to try out the Card howto [2] which is probably the
most up-to-date one around.

[1] http://download.fsfe.org/tools/cardreader/udev-howto-automatization.sh
[2] http://wiki.fsfe.org/Card_howtos/Card_with_subkeys_using_backups

Thanks,